-->

Anxiety as EndSARS anniversary protest gathers momentum

File: Endsars protest

Groups planning to commemorate the one-year anniversary of the #EndSARS protest on October 20 have vowed not to back down despite repeated warnings from the police authorities.

The Nation gathered that organisers have been mobilising online via social media platforms for a protest to coincide with the Lekki Tollgate incident which occurred last year.

But police authorities across the States have been issuing warnings against the anniversary protest, asking the organisers to halt the plan.

Convener of #RevolutionNow and Sahara Reporters publisher, Omoyele Sowore said: “Starting from 8:00AM, All Roads in Lagos leads to #LekkiTollGate on October 20 2021! We Will Never Forget #LekkiMassacre2020 #RevolutionNow.”

Also, the United Kingdom has warned its citizens to avoid large gatherings ahead of the first anniversary of the protest.

In a statement published on its website as obtained by The Nation, the UK said: “Events to mark the one-year anniversary of #EndSARS protests are likely to take place nationally, week commencing 18 October.

“There may be protests and a heightened security presence in major cities such as Lagos and Abuja.”

– Advertisement –

The UK government advised its citizens to follow instructions from security agencies and also monitor the local media for information on possible protests in different parts of the country.

– Advertisement –

The Nation reports #EndSARS protests, which held between October 8 and 20 last year, was a public outcry for an end to police brutality, extrajudicial killings, extortion and abuse of power, especially by officers of the defunct Special Anti-Robbery Squad (SARS).

The Federal Government had directed States to set up judicial panels of inquiry into allegations of human rights violations involving police officers, following the protests.

Ahead of the protest in few days, popular comedian Debo Adebayo, widely known as Mr. Macaroni who took part in the EndSARS, berated celebrities for being beneficiaries of the government whom he claimed stifled activities of the #EndSARS anniversary.

Macaroni,in a lengthy Instagram post, spoke on how the government has clamped down on the events planned out one year after the protest.

Rapper and activist, Folarin Falana, a.k.a Falz, also stated that concerts are being organised to distract youths from remembering those who died during the EndSARS protest last year.

In a statement titled ’20:10:20 [update]’, Falz stated that no one has been punished yet for ‘heinous crimes’ perpetrated during the protest.

Sharing a picture of the #EndSARS movement, Falz vowed that the organisers will never ever be silenced. Nation

 

Leave A Reply

Your email address will not be published.

%d bloggers like this: