Attempted rape at Falomo school: Police to arraign five randy pupils today

Ireti school pupils

Barring a last minute change in plan, five pupils of Ireti Grammar School, Falomo, Lagos State, involved in the attempted rape of two female pupils from Falomo Senior High School, will be arraigned in court today (Thursday).

It was learnt that while one of the suspects, whom the police said was above 18 years, would be prosecuted in an open court, the four others would be tried in a family court.

One Michale Matthew had posted on social media how the two pupils were molested by their fellow male pupils upon the completion of their final exams. Two of the perpetrators were identified simply as George and Abiodun.

Matthew described how the pupils chased the girls in the Obalende area, tearing up the skirt of one of the victims with a pair of scissors. Two boys had attempted to rape the girls to the cheers of other boys before the eyewitness raised the alarm.

The Lagos State Commissioner of Police, Fatai Owoseni, said on Wednesday that the command, together with the state Ministry of Justice, had concluded arrangement to prosecute the suspects on Thursday (today). He, however, did not disclose the charges preferred against them.

The CP said, “The police have interacted with the five suspects, one of the victims and the eyewitness. The incident raises questions of criminality and morality, which have been considered and examined by the stakeholders. An offence has been committed and the suspects will be taken to court to serve as a deterrent to others.

“We are putting all our files together with the Ministry of Justice and appropriate charges will be taken to court not later than Thursday (today) with the suspects. Issues of the ages of the pupils also came to play.

“Four of them will be taken to juvenile or family court, but one of them, who does not fall into the category of children, will be arraigned in an open court.”

The CP also said the Divisional Police Officer, Ijesha Police Division, CSP Mohammed Yakubu, had been detained for allegedly shooting an apprentice tailor, Jamiu Ayoade, to death.

PUNCH Metro had reported that the DPO had around 7.30pm on Sunday led some policemen to Wosilatu Daudu Street, Ijeshatedo, where Jamiu was attending his friend’s birthday party.

The operatives, who raided the area, shot into the air to disperse the gathering.

Not done, the DPO reportedly chased Jamiu and other fun seekers into a building and shot him in the head at a close range. One Akeem also sustained a gunshot injury in the hand.

The 23-year-old was said to have bled to death while he was being rushed to the Lagos University Teaching Hospital, Idi-Araba.

While briefing journalists at the command’s headquarters in Ikeja on Wednesday, Owoseni said the DPO had been taken into custody for interrogation.

He stated that some officers had been sent to the area to carry out discreet investigations, adding that Yakubu would be brought to book if found culpable.

Owoseni said, “If we find out that the DPO is not one of the officers that belong to the new Nigeria Police Force, the law will take its course. The DPO is in custody. I have met with the family of the deceased and taken their version of the incident.

“We have found out that it is very imperative that a thorough investigation should be carried out. We want to assure members of the public and the family that they will get justice. We will not sweep the case under the carpet.”Punch


Leave A Reply

Your email address will not be published.