Covid-19: Lagos bans religious gathering of over 50 worshippers
As part of measures to contain the spread of the Coronavirus outbreak, the Lagos State Government has banned all religious gathering of over 50 people within the state.
According to a statement on Wednesday, the decision was arrived at after a meeting of the Lagos State Government with religious bodies in the state, which included the Christian Association of Nigeria and Muslim leaders.
The Commissioner for Home Affairs, Prince Anofiu Elegushi, said the meeting agreed that “all large religious gathering of over 50 people should be suspended immediately”.
He said the suspension would last for four weeks with a necessary review carried out if need be.
He added that a committee had been set up to monitor the enforcement of the suspension to ensure that both Muslims and Christians in the state abide by the decision.
The 15-member committee comprises representatives of Muslims and Christians in the State.
The Commissioner also said the meeting agreed that the state government should embark on massive sensitisation of people at the grassroots on the need to embrace proper hygiene.
The State Commissioner for Information, Mr Gbenga Omotosho, had earlier at a briefing said the advice to put religious gathering on hold in the interest of the public.
The Chairman of CAN, Apostle Alexander Bamgbola, said, “We are at a critical moment in Nigeria, since we heard this, we have been praying. We have listened carefully to one another, particularly the government. The responsibility of every government is to protect the lives of the people.
“We must be proactive and take preventive measures. It is no longer the issue of religion but survival. We are going to accelerate the education of our people. We must listen to the instruction of the government and take the instruction seriously. We agree with the action of the government.” Punch