Promoter casts doubt over Klitschko-Joshua rematch
Wladimir Klitschko is “50-50” on taking up his option of a rematch with Anthony Joshua, according to his promoter Tom Loeffler.
Joshua got off the floor to stop Klitschko in a heavyweight epic at Wembley Stadium in April and is waiting to hear if the 41-year-old former world champion fancies another crack.
Eddie Hearn has lined up Kubrat Pulev as an alternative next opponent for Joshua but told Sky Sports this month the rematch “is happening unless we are told otherwise.”
Loeffler, speaking to Sky Sports News HQ on Monday, said, “Wladimir hasn’t made a decision.
“If he retires on that fight, he had such a great run in the heavyweight division there’ll be no better way to go out. That was just a tremendous fight
“I really think it’s 50-50. Every time I talk to him it’s almost like he’s torn both ways. We’ll naturally support him either way he decides. If he decides to take the rematch that’s one the fans will look forward to”
Joshua said last week his future targets include Tyson Fury and Deontay Wilder.
Meanwhile, Ward says he would be open to a move up to heavyweight and has hinted at a possible clash against world champion Joshua.
The unbeaten American retained his world light-heavyweight titles on Saturday after a stoppage victory over Sergey Kovalev in their rematch in Las Vegas.
Ward has already stepped up from the super-middleweight and the 33-year-old has now admitted a bout against the WBA ‘super’ and IBF heavyweight champion could tempt him to target the top division
I always seem to be knocking down giants one by one,” Ward said. “Heavyweight, that’s always been a dream of mine. It’s got to be against the right guy, but I dream big and anything is possible.”
Ward added, “He (Ward’s trainer Virgil Hunter) has always been setting the bar high, that is the essence of our team right there.
“That man will have me believing things that I never even thought of. Like, ‘Anthony Joshua, really?’ and it will make perfect sense to him. So we’ll see.” punch